Welcome to London African Drumming
Celebrate the Rhythm of Life with Us.
Leading community providers of amazing fun Traditional African drumming dance & performance workshops in London & UK
We provide amazing, fun, Traditional African drumming, dance and music performance workshops in London & UK. Offering tailor made workshops and performances for your Organisation, School or community. Let us come to you bringing Joy, rhythm and positivity!
Sue Goode Set up the Community African Drumming workshops as a Social Enterprise over 13 years ago, offering a fun, uplifting experience whilst learning traditional African rhythms. It’s open djembe drumming workshops for beginners and improvers in the City of London & East London.
The group is always suitable for beginners and those wanting to improve their djembe drumming techniques. Drums are provided, so no need to have your own drum, but you are more than welcome to bring your own if you like. All abilities are welcomed but no previous experience is needed as taught in call and response style, chant and song.
For me and for many others, drumming in a group setting is therapeutic, healing, uplifting and paradoxically both relaxing and energizing at the same time. This makes it a powerful way to de-stress and feel joy! Feeling a sense of belonging and being able to learn and engage in something in just a few minutes that is co-created by all the members in that moment is something magical.
This weekly group runs every Tuesday eve at 7 pm and the first Saturday of each month at 1.30pm at The Vatican Music studios in Bethnal Green/Stepney Green East London and is only £20 (£13 concessions) inclusive of djembe drum hire and 2 hours of workshop/social from amazingly talented African Drummers.
Whilst the group has some regular members, you can jump in (and out!) at any time. The idea is to come and have fun. If you can’t make it one week, you can always come another. You are guaranteed a warm welcome.
Our African Drumming Circle is aimed at learning traditional African music to create different rhythms and beats through drumming and song. We believe the benefits of African drumming are:
- African drumming is suitable for people of different ages, backgrounds and abilities. It is a fun, therapeutic way of communicating and expressing.
- Playing the djembe drums improves co-ordination and motor skills. It also requires concentration and focus to learn the different beats and techniques.
- African drumming encourages creativity and self expression and promotes self-confidence and a feeling of well-being and relaxation.
- Creating music as a group encourages bonding within the group and makes people much more appreciative of each other. It creates a feeling of belonging and togetherness within the group.
- It provides an appreciation of cultural diversity both locally and globally.
- BBC link talking more in depth about the benefits of drumming which you may find interesting.
Our Latest Events
One Day Rural Retreat Drumming, Dance & Art – Celebrate the Rhythm of Life with Us.
- Buy ticket for one person (day ticket)
- Buy ticket for two people (day ticket)
- Buy ticket for one person (camping ticket)
- Buy ticket for two people (camping ticket)
- Drumming Workshops
- Dance Workshops
- Arts & Crafts Workshop
- Traditional African Lunch
- Camping Ticket includes: Campfire, Supper, and Breakfast
All designed to rejuvenate and uplift by using rhythm movement and creativity together to co-create as a healing group in a beautiful countryside environment.
10am – 4pm weekends and weekdays, depending upon demand.
Lambourne End Centre for Outdoor Learning
See what we get up to in the community
The benefits of djembe drumming in a group setting are widely recognised and documented. Our members describe the process as joyful, therapeutic and it bringing a sense of belonging and harmony. Traditional African music creates an atmosphere of warmth, joy and connection between people. An Ancient healing tool.
Our workshops are facilitated by a wide variety of talented and passionate musicians, who teach a range of authentic African rhythms.
Follow LondonAfricanDrumming on Instagram and see what we’ve been up to.
or call Sue on 07904 091763.
Some of the Organisations and local Councils we have had the pleasure of working with in partnership
Knit for Africa Project
Working in collaboration with Project Okurase …
Get knitting!! London African Drumming are collecting any hand knitted garments and blankets for regular delivery to project Okurase where items will be distributed to those most in need in orphanages and medical outreach centers.
Every little helps and you can be assured that your items get to where most needed. I will bring regular updates so you can see the difference it makes to the lives of children and adults in the region.
Please contact to arrange to post knitted items recorded delivery to me. Thank you!
Want a unique gift for someone?…Then how about treating someone to an experience of African Djembe drumming. Simply visit our shop to buy a London African Drumming gift E voucher!